Supplements For PCOS
Supplements for PCOS are best prescribed by your Naturopath or health care practitioner.
There are many nutrients and herbs that target the symptoms of PCOS.
Correcting the imbalance will go a long way towards treating the root cause of your PCOS symptoms. Read more here on suitable supplements for PCOS.
Nutritional Supplements For PCOS
Although the best source of vitamins and minerals is through a well
balanced diet, many foods today are depleted in these vital trace
elements. Most of us need to supplement our diet with some of the
vitamins and minerals that our bodies need to function optimally.
Any treatment for hormonal disorders is best used for a minimum of three months for optimum results.
If you take the Pill to regulate your periods, you may have an
even greater imbalance between a number of key vitamins and minerals.
Correcting this imbalance will go a long way towards treating the root
cause of the problem.
N.B. In other texts, you may come across the terms ‘nutrimedicine’ and ‘nutriceuticals’. These are just fancy names for supplements.
The following is a list of supplements that are helpful for PCOS.
- A good multivitamin and mineral tablet will provide a ‘little bit of everything’.
- Chromium is essential for insulin’s response on blood sugar, cravings, hunger and weight loss.
- Zinc helps with appetite control and is
necessary for the correct action of insulin, promoting a healthy blood
sugar balance. It also functions together with selenium and vitamins A
and E in the manufacture of thyroid hormone.
- Magnesium balances blood sugar levels. There is a
strong link between magnesium deficiency and insulin resistance. It is
an important mineral to include if you are suffering from PCOS.
- Co-enzyme Q10 is essential for energy production
and normal carbohydrate metabolism (the way our bodies break down the
carbohydrates we eat to turn them into energy).
- B Vitamins are important for energy production, fat burning and hormone imbalances, including your thyroid gland and metabolism.
- Vitamin B6 in particular has been found to
increase progesterone levels and inhibit the excessive production of
prolactin. Vitamin B6 levels may be reduced due to the contraceptive
pill. Vitamin B6 can be helpful for high prolactin, depression, anxiety,
fluid retention and breast tenderness.
- Di-indole methane, also known as DIM helps the liver convert
oestrogen into a healthier form. It is beneficial for conditions such as
PCOS, endometriosis & fibroids. DIM also helps correct androgen
(e.g. testosterone) excess, helps with the fat gain around the middle and for acne, especially sore,
cystic acne. The dose is dependent on body weight.
- The amino acids N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) and Arginine have shown in studies to improve ovulation regularity, insulin resistance and reduce excess bleeding in women with PCOS. NAC has also been shown to enhance the fertility drug, Clomid's success in ovulation outcome (partly because it provide anti-oxidant support).
- D-Chiro-Inositol helps to improve insulin sensitivity, lower free
and total testosterone, lower blood pressure, and increase the frequency
- Omega 3 oils (EPA & DHA) found in oily fish
and flaxseeds but also as a supplement are helpful for dry skin, vaginal
dryness, fatigue, depression, lack of motivation, weight problems,
memory problems and blood sugar imbalances and cellular health.
- Evening primrose oil can be helpful for breast tenderness, dry skin and vaginal dryness
NB. For best results, try these recommended supplements
for a period of three months. These supplements are best taken under
the care and guidance of your healthcare practitioner.
Herbs For PCOS
Apart from the use of nutritional supplements for PCOS, herbs are also extremely useful in treating PCOS. Making changes and
adding supplements for PCOS to your diet will help control weight and balance
blood sugar, while herbs go a step further, targeting any problems
involving hormone balance.
- Chaste tree (Vitex Agnus castus) is one of the most
important herbs for PCOS because it helps stimulate and normalise the
function of the pituitary gland, which controls the release of
luteinising hormone (LH). Chaste tree has been successfully trialled in
the treatment of PCOS as well as infertility. It enhances progesterone
levels, which lengthen the menstrual cycle. Chaste tree has been shown
to improve fertility due to its effects on decreasing oestrogen and
androgens which, when elevated, are responsible for cycles with no
- Adrenal tonics such as Rehmannia, Rhodiola,
Siberian Ginseng and Withania support the adrenal stress response and
help the adrenal glands return to a state of balance.
- Paeonia lactiflora (peony) is another valuable
herb as it positively influences low progesterone, reduces elevated
androgens (testosterone) and modulates oestrogen and prolactin.
- Licorice, especially combined with peony, helps regulate hormones, reduce androgen levels and improve the LH to FSH ratio.
- Gymnema is helpful in reducing carbohydrate and
sugar cravings, thereby assisting in weight loss. Gymnema is one of the
most significant herbs to improve insulin resistance.
- Tribulus helps restore menstrual regularity and regulate ovulation.
- Blue Cohosh is a particularly useful herb. It acts as a uterine and ovarian tonic and a pelvic anti-inflammatory.
- Saw Palmetto, a traditional male reproductive herb used to control excess testosterone, offers promising results for hirsuitism.
- Milk thistle, rosemary, Bupleurum and Schizandra are excellent liver herbs, aiding in the removal of excess oestrogen.
- Maca is an adaptogenic herb known to stimulate the hypothalamus,
pituitary and adrenal glands to support and balance hormones such as
follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinising hormone (LH), oestrogen
and progesterone. It is indicated for PCOS symptoms such as amenorrhea,
hirsutism, acne, irregular menstrual cycles and even insulin resistance.
NB. You should not take any of the above herbs if you
are taking the oral contraceptive pill, fertility drugs, HRT or any
other hormonal treatment or other medication unless they are recommended
by a registered, experienced practitioner.
Detailed information and case studies using suitable supplements for PCOS can be found in The Natural PCOS Diet.
The Natural PCOS Diet with FREE BONUS PCOS Cookbook
Find out the Naturopathic secrets to overcome PCOS with this top selling e-book, The Natural PCOS Diet,
available for instant download. This provides a holistic approach
combining targeted supplements for PCOS, herbs, specific diet and lifestyle
changes to help you recover your hormone health...naturally of course.
No matter what hormone health challenges you have been facing
with PCOS this is the book for you. The information provided will help
you understand the underlying causes of PCOS and the steps you need to
take to overcome this hormone problem.
What's more....A copy of The Natural PCOS Cookbook is available for FREE when you order The Natural PCOS Diet.
The Natural PCOS Cookbook provides easy, delicous recipes
suitable for follwing a PCOS diet plan including recipes for breakfast,
lunch, dinner, desserts and snacks.
Click here for more information: The Natural PCOS Diet.
How To Order Your Supplements
Depending on where you are in the world, you may be able to obtain suitable supplements for PCOS from your local health care practitioner.
For existing patients click here to order you repeat prescription items and supplements.
Read More on PCOS
Exit 'Supplements for PCOS' & Return to Home Page