Period Pain Relief
Naturopathic medicine can provide immense period pain relief. The aim
is to treat the pain and other symptoms, and bring back a state of
balance naturally. If you do all of this, your general wellbeing will
improve and you can lead a vital and active life.
- Place a hot water bottle on your abdomen.
- Avoid drinking cold water (straight from the fridge) for a week before and during your period.
herb teas - chamomile, ginger, raspberry leaf and peppermint are good
choices. Your naturopath will make up a more specific herbal formula in
conjunction with your consultation, usually containing herbs to balance
the hormonal cycle and antispasmodic herbs such as cramp bark to help
relieve the cramping symptomatically.
- Massage your abdomen - rub around your abdomen in a clockwise direction.
- Castor oil packs can provide great relief from cramping, pain and back ache.
- Linseed packs can also provide immense period pain relief
- Magnesium in the form of magnesium phosphate if taken every one to two hours helps relieve cramping.
warm bath may help - add some chamomile flowers (or a few teabags) and
essential oils such as rosemary, juniper, geranium and lavender into the
- Use pads instead of tampons.
- Gently press your pressure points and increase the pressure gradually. Make sure you continue to breathe rhythmically.- Spleen 6: this point is found in a hollow that is about three finger widths above the interior anklebone.- Colon 4: found in the V between the thumb and first finger.
care with yoga postures. If they cause any discomfort or pain stop
immediately. It is always best to speak to your yoga teacher if you are
new to yoga. - Bow - lie on your stomach and bend your knees.
Grab ankles and pull legs up towards head. Release gently and rock back
and forward.- Lie on your back and bring your knees up to your chest. Hold for 10 seconds. Do both legs together and also one at a time.
You may find some of the above techniques more effective than others.
the methods suggested above may help to relieve pain every month,
naturopathic treatment offers gentle improvement every month so that
eventually you should have no pain at all.
Read more on Help for Period Pain
Return to the Natural Hormone Health Home Page