Natural Treatment for Male Infertility
Natural treatment for male infertility focuses on improving sperm
quantity and quality, and overall male reproductive health. Improving
diet and making healthy lifestyle choices will also positively impact
male reproductive health. In addition, using the correct doses of high
quality nutritional and herbal supplements will help restore male
Supplements for Male Infertility
Nutrients for men and their reproductive health include targeted supplements and antioxidants to maintain the integrity of the sperm cell membrane. These include:
- Vitamin A - this has been shown to improve testicular health, sperm production and testosterone levels.
- Vitamins C - this has been trialled exclusively
for its effect on fertility with positive results. One study showed that
amounts as little as 1000mg given to infertile men (non-smokers)
improved their sperm counts by as much as 140%. Why? Vitamin C plays an
important role in protecting DNA and supporting the immune system's
response to urinary and prostate infections. Vitamin C also 'unclumps'
- Vitamin E - this is a powerful antioxidant and helps protect sperm from damage.
- Zinc - an essential nutrient for male fertility
and can help with male hormone balance and sperm health. A high dose of
zinc may raise sperm counts in men with levels at less than or equal to
25 million per ml over a period of 50 days. Zinc also significantly
increases testosterone levels.
- Selenium - a lack of selenium decreases sperm
production and motility. Selenium is a very effective antioxidant and
protects against environmental pollutants and stressors.
- Glutathione - this supports detoxification of heavy metals such as mercury and lead prior to conception.
- B vitamins - vitamin B6 is important for zinc
absorption and vitamin B12 is involved in DNA replication, increasing
sperm count and motility.
- Other nutrients valuable for male fertility include Omega 3 fatty acids, Coenzyme Q10 and Alpha Lipoic Acid (the latter two supplements being potent antioxidants to help prevent oxidative stress at time of conception).
NB. For best results, try these recommended
supplements for a period of three months. These supplements are best
taken under the care and guidance of your healthcare practitioner.
Herbs for Male Infertility
- Korean ginseng and Rhodiola are effective adrenal herbs to help with stress.
- Damiana, Tribulus and Saw Palmetto are all traditional male reproductive herbs used to improve testicular and sperm health.
- Milk thistle, Globe Artichoke and Schizandra are liver herbs which aid in detoxification.
- Rehmania and Hemidesmus are herbs to consider if there are any sperm antibody issues.
NB. Always consult a registered practitioner.
Other Natural Treatment for Male Infertility
- The introduction of a regular exercise program to improve fitness and
maintain a healthy weight is important
- Manage stress with what appeals to you - meditation, yoga, reading a book, playing golf, anything to take your active mind off work stressors etc.
- Avoid wearing tight underwear. This can stop the testes from being able to hang and
regulate a healthy temperature.
- Avoid hot tubs and saunas - these too can affect temperature control for the testes.
- Avoid going on long bike rides - another lifestyle factor which can affect the temperature control and health of the testes.
Read More on Male Infertility
Exit 'Natural Treatment for Male Infertility' & Return to Home Page